Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Flower Meanings!


Folks ask us ALL THE TIME about specific flower meanings. I have always had some standard answers, mostly based on hearsay, but recently I came across Victoria's Dictionary of Flowers... and it is an awesome resource!! http://www.scribd.com/doc/53971049/Victoria-s-Flower-Dictionary

It provides us with awesome tidbits like gladiolus mean "You pierce my heart" and yellow roses stand for "infidelity"... There are some positive meanings in there too but I loved those two in particular.

The Society of American Florists is also a great resource for flower meanings.
Alstroemeriaaspiring
Amaryllisdramatic
Anemonefragile
Apple Blossompromis
Astercontentment
Azaleaabundance
Baby's Breathfestivity
Bachelor Buttonanticipation
Begoniadeep thoughts
Black-Eyed Susanencouragement
Camelliagraciousness
Carnation
pinkgratitude
redflashy
stripedrefusal
whiteremembrance
yellowcheerful
Chrysanthemum
bronzeexcitement
whitetruth
redsharing
yellowsecret admirer
Cosmospeaceful
Crocusforesight
Daffodilchivalry
Delphiniumboldness
Daisyinnocence
Freesiaspirited
Forget-Me-Notremember me forever
Gardeniajoy
Geraniumcomfort
Gingerproud
Gladiolusstrength of character
Heathersolitude
Hibiscusdelicate beauty
Hollydomestic happiness
Hyacinthsincerity
Hydrangeaperseverance
Irisinspiration
Ivyfidelity
Jasminegrace and elegance
Larkspurbeautiful spirit
Lavenderdistrust
Lilacfirst love
Lily
Callaregal
Casablancacelebration
Dayenthusiasm
Stargazerambition
Lisianthuscalming
Magnoliadignity
Marigolddesire for riches
Nasturtiumpatriotism
Orange Blossomfertility
Orchiddelicate beauty
Pansyloving thoughts
Passion flowerpassion
Peonyhealing
Poppyconsolation
Queen Anne's Lacedelicate femininity
Ranunculusradiant
Rhododendronbeware
Rose
pinkfriendship
redpassionate love
red & whiteunity
whitepurity
yellowzealous
Snapdragonpresumptuous
Star of Bethlehemhope
Stephanotisgood luck
Staticesuccess
Sunfloweradoration
Sweetpeashyness
Tuberosepleasure
Tulip
pinkcaring
purpleroyalty
reddeclaration of love
whiteforgiveness
yellowhopelessly in love
Violetfaithfulness
Wisteriasteadfast
Yarrowgood health
Zinniathoughts of friends

I have decided that if I had my wedding to do over again (which hopefully I won't!) that I would want to choose flowers for my bouquet that conveyed a special meaning. I went back to my own bridal bouquet recipe and here is what I came up with (using victoria's flower dictionary):
White roses- A heart unacquainted with love... hmmm? 
Craspedia- Edgy OR Good Health... lets go with good health on this one
Dusty Miller- Delicate, Happy ... better...
Stock- You will always be beautiful to me... perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment